Railway Budget 2016 so far till 12:45
12: 45 : Here’s what rail passengers can expect
WiFi services at 100 stations this year, 400 more stations over next two years
•2,500 water vending machines at railway stations
• Reserved middle bays in coaches for women security
• Introduced 1,780 automatic ticket vending machines, mobile apps, GoIndia smart cards for cashless purchase of UTS and PRS ticket
• 311 CCTV cameras installed
• World’s first Bio-vacuum toilet developed by Indian Railways is being used in Bibrugarh Rajdhani express.
12:30 pm Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu plans to increase speed of freight train to 40 km/hr & passenger train to 80km/hour. Here are the other highlights from his speech so far :
• Enhanced capacity of e-ticketing system from 2,000 tickets per minute to 7,200 per minute
Work in process for Wifi services at railway stations
• New train between Varanasi and Delhi with modernised coaches has been initiated
• To contribute to Swachh Bharat 17,000 bio toilets will be provided by the close of FY17
• Rs 8.5 lakh crore will be spent over 5 years for modernisation of railway infrastructure
• 1,600 km of electrification this year and 2,000 km in the next year have been proposed
• Railways to surpass ambitious target of commissioning 2,500 kms of broad gauge lines, almost 30% higher than last year
• Expect revenue growth of over 10% this year
• Broad guage Lumding-Silchar section in Assam opened, connecting Barak Valley with rest of the country
• By 2020, plans to eliminate all unmanned level crossing
• Over 1 lakh calls made everyday to get feedback from passengers.Turned social media into feedback mechanism
12: 00 pm: Prabhu wants to make railways people’s pride
Presenting the Railway Budget 2016, Minister Suresh Prabhu said it is not his budget but the aspirations of families in India.
Prabhu expects an operating ratio of 92% as against likely to be achieved in current year. The minister said he wants to give India a railway system that its people are proud of.
“Railways must provide to citizens a system free from capacity constraint,a system that is efficient,” he added.
Rail Minister Suresh Prabhu has reached the Parliament in New Delhi where he will present his second budget .